Its hard to miss. 18 miles away I’m crossing under Heritage Trace Parkway, heading southbound on I-35, when Cowboys Stadium (now AT&T Stadium) rises above the sprawling roofs of every mid-city from Arlington to Keller. My initial reaction was “is it that close?” no – it’s that big. We were on our way to one of the first events held at Cowboys Stadium, U2 with opening act MUSE. As we entered the stadium we headed for our spots on the floor and we were sent into a “tunnel” that was wide enough to drive two buses down, side by side. Walking out of the tunnel at floor level was unreal. Everyone, including myself, was staring up at the roof as if caught in some sort of trance, stumbling towards the stage like zombies. It wasn’t until a pigeon interrupted my gaze that I realized there was actually a slight haze from the sheer distance of me to the rooftop.
Here is a video of the concert taken from a “nosebleed” seat at Cowboys Stadium – keep in mind that the structure you are looking down on is 167 feet tall! (skip to 0:33 for a better view).
Here are some of the staggeringly huge numbers statistics of the largest Dallas / Fort Worth roofing job to date (along with some fun facts for comparison):
- At 660,800 square feet, the stadium’s roof is one of the largest domed sports structures in the world making it larger than the area base of the Great Pyramid of Giza (also equal to 1o professional soccer fields).
- Soaring 292 feet above the playing field, the two monumental arches support the retractable roof – Longer than a Manhattan city block, it is the world’s longest single-span roof structure.
- Each arch span is a quarter-mile in length.
- Each arch weighs 3,255 tons – the same mass of a Saturn V Rocket.
- At 410 feet long by 256 feet wide and encompassing 105,000 square feet, the roof opening is nearly twice as large as the field underneath.
- Each roof panel weighs 1.68 million pounds – double the maximum takeoff weight of a Boeing 747.
- The roof Consists of 14,100 tons of structural steel – equivalent to the weight of 92 Boeing 777s.
- It takes 12 minutes to open or close the roof.
- The structural steel’s wide flange sizes are up to W14x730 (14 inches in depth and 730 lbs. per foot)- the heaviest shape rolled in the world.
- Total length of welding in arch spans: 165,000 feet – equal to 5X the thickness of the Earth’s ozone layer.
- 4,000 gallons of primer and finish paint – equal to the volume of water in each single eruption of the Old Faithful Geyser at Yellowstone National Park.
[youtube url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tkeJfBIxjM” width=”600″]
The design and construction of the Cowboys Stadium Roof was done by Uni-Systems. Here’s a video from their YouTube channel of them building this mammoth!
Whatever roof you are under, make sure its solid and free of leaks. If your house was hit by a hail storm in the last year, it’s likely that your roof has damage that could be easily fixed by a roof replacement covered by your insurance.
“Trust your home to an Old Pro” – we’ll come take a look at your house free of charge! Give us a call at (817) 929-ROOF(7663)