8 Signs It’s Time for a New Roof!
When you drive home or drive past your house, do you ever take the time think, “Hmm, does my roof need replacing?” Most people usually don’t until it is too late. On top of that, most people are unaware of tell-tale signs that the roof is ready for replacement. We have compiled a solid list of 8 signs that can give you some idea of when it is getting closer to roof replacement time:
- Curling shingles – Over time, the wear and tear of storms can ruin shingles. After a few years, you may notice your shingles begin curling. As soon as you notice this, a very good idea would be to get a roof inspection to have a professional assess the damage for you.
- Noticeable hail damage – Living in the DFW metroplex basically equals living through numerous hail storms. According to a 2011 report compiled by CDS Business Mapping, LLC. Fort Worth Texas is ranked #9 in the country for the most hail prone cities. Roofs here in North Texas take more of a beating than most other parts of the nation. If a hail storm occurs nearby or in your neighborhood, take the time the next day to check out your roof and make sure you have no damaged or missing shingles. These hail storms lead to many roof replacements every year.
- Roof is leaking – The most obvious sign that your roof needs help is a leak dripping into your house. It does not take a genius to know this will need some work done, but an expert can give you a solid estimate and properly examine the damage and give you the best opinion for your next step. A lot of times this leads to a roof replacement.
- Discolored shingles – If you take a look up at your roof and you see a section of shingles looking either discolored or a totally different color call your local professional roofing contractor to get yourself a free roof inspection. This is a big sign of wear and tear over time.
- Outside light showing through the roof – This automatically means you need to get a walkthrough. The damage at this point has gone through a few layers and there is a possibility you may need a roof replacement.
- Cracked, torn, bald or missing shingles – If you notice that the shingles have any of these issues, your roof may need a roof replacement. This is an easy to spot problem and unfortunately it’s a very bad sign.
- Age – if it has been more than 20 years since it was replaced, it’s a safe bet that you need at least a professional walkthrough. Most of these roofs are not built to survive the high volume of hail storms that batters the metroplex year after year. After a couple of decades of relentless beatings from hail storms, your roof may need replacement.
- Standing Water on your roof – If you happen to have a flat roof, you have a unique possibility of having standing water. The roof will likely need a replacement or some massive work needed on it. Your best bet is to call your local professional roof contractors to come by and give you a roof inspection.
If you are experiencing any of these roofing issues, please understand that you can call your local roofing professionals and most of these companies will give you a free roof inspection and some of them will even give you quotes. Check around to find out which company gives you the best deal and be very wary of prices that may be too low to be true because sometimes these can be rip-offs. Ask a lot of questions and do your research before agreeing to anything. Good luck on your roofing endeavors, and keep in mind that Old Pro Roofing does give a free roof inspection for when you’re ready to take the next step.